Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Artistic Endeavours

I recently took up calligraphy again. It was somewhat annoying at first, because I was trying to use cobbled-together parts of old fountain pens and calligraphy pens. Since I bought a new calligraphy pen, though, things have been going more smoothly. The new pen has five different nibs, and it is the kind that you dip in ink periodically (rather than the kind that needs cartridges). I actually would have preferred a pen with cartridges, if it had been available. The ink flow tends to be more even, and, provided that you have the right sort of cartridge, refilling is easy. Oh, well. The new pen works well once you get the hang of it.

Along with the pen, I bought a delightful pot containing a mere 10 mL of opaque black "drawing ink" (Tusche). I will probably also get red ink at some point. I just have to make sure that it isn't too viscous or too watery for my pen.

Anyway, what follows is a little project that I have been working on. The text is from Book 10, Chapter 23, of Le Morte d'Arthur, by Sir Thomas Malory. The particular edition that I used can be found at Project Gutenberg.


The page isn't done yet, obviously. I still have to decide how I'm going to ink in the border and so on, and I might make some changes to the design. In any case, I hope it turns out well. I plan to do the rest of the chapter (if not more) in a similar fashion.

Apart from calligraphy, I've also done some painting. For example, I painted the lid of a round box. Voilà!


Not particularly impressive, I know, but I like the colours — deep and rich.


Note: As usual, the above images are hosted by flickr and edited using Adobe Photoshop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home