Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Tidings

My TestDaF* results are better than I'd hoped -- certainly enough for my university application. I can't say that I'm confident about my chances of being accepted, though. Even if the German language proficiency matter is taken care of, one never knows what else might go wrong. And then, even if I am accepted, I might not hear of it until late September or October (as was the case with my rejection last year).

At least I am more enthusiastic about going to university this year. Well, "enthusiastic" might not be the best word to use (especially considering the way I was four or five years ago). Still, last year, I was reluctant to the point of dreading anything university-related. There has definitely been an improvement.

As for my part-time job, my month-long holiday has ended, so today (yesterday by now) was a work day again. I can't say that I was looking forward to it, but it wasn't too bad. Oddly enough, I liked the dishwashing afterwards best. When the dirty dishes are neatly stacked, it is an easy, almost pleasant matter to rinse them and load them into the big dishwasher. The most unpleasant job, as usual, was throwing out the leftover food. It was several times more unpleasant than usual, actually, due to the weather. When I opened the food disposal bin (which is outside, beside the other garbage and recycling bins), a cloud of fruit flies came out along with a dreadful smell (rather reminiscent of olives, which I despise!).

I was, by the way, working alone, as I will be for the next three weeks. School is not in session, after all, so there are far fewer students than usual. Food is delivered, rather than being cooked in the school's kitchen, and only one person is needed to set the tables, serve the food, and clean up afterwards. After my three weeks are up, I'll have another month of (paid) holidays, and then my days as a cafeteria lady will be over. :.o(

To completely change the subject, I have found that kanji is troublesome after all. I don't mind the memorization (of meanings, readings, and stroke order), but I find it difficult to write the various characters naturally and so that they look as they should. Getting the sizes, proportions, curves, lengths, etc. right is harder than I expected. Well, now that I think about it, there is no need to be so careful. My main goal should be to write the characters legibly and with some level of fluency (both of which can be achieved through practice). Aesthetics can be dealt with later.

My usual procedure, incidentally, is as follows:
1. Write out the kanji that I know on grid paper (not normal grid paper, since the squares are too small, but forms I print out).
2. Learn some additional characters.
3. Work through lessons in the textbook, writing out vocabulary and sample sentences, translating English sentences into Japanese, and learning relevant kanji along the way.
Until now, the second point generally involved systematically going through the kanji in my Kanji und Kana book. The problem with that approach is that I find myself learning characters, meanings, and readings for which I have no use (yet). Such knowledge is more a burden than an aid. So, from now on, I will learn kanji mainly according to the vocabulary used in the textbook.

That will have to do for now. I would (and did) write more, but I have to go to bed, so I'll just post what I have.


* Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache (tests German language proficiency)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home